Remember the 60-second rule: That’s all the time you have to create a winning first impression. Here are some simple to significant ways to maximize your home’s appeal.
- * Keep the grass cut and remove all yard clutter.
- * Weed and apply fresh mulch to flower beds.
- * Apply fresh paint to wooden fences.
- * Tighten and clean all door handles.
- * Clean windows inside and out.
- * Powerwash home’s exterior.
- * Ensure all gutters and downspouts are firmly attached and functioning.
- * Paint the front door.
- * Buy a new welcome mat.
- * Place potted flowers near the front door.
- * Evaluate the furniture in each room and remove anything that interrupts “the flow” or makes the room appear smaller. Consider renting a storage unit to move items off-site.
- * Clean and organize cabinets, closets and bookshelves.
- * Clean all light fixtures and ceiling fans.
- * Shampoo carpets.
- * Remove excessive wall hangings and knick-knacks.
- * Repair all plumbing leaks, including faucets and drain traps.
- * Make minor repairs (torn screens, sticking doors, cracked caulking).
- * Clean or paint walls and ceilings.
- * Replace worn cabinet and door knobs.
- * Fix or replace discolored grout.
- * Replace broken tiles.
- * Replace worn countertops.
Special details for showings
- * Turn on all the lights.
- * Open all drapes and shutters in the daytime.
- * Keep pets secured outdoors.
- * Buy new towels for bathrooms.
- * Buy new bedding for bedrooms.
- * Replace old lamps or lampshades.
- * Play quiet background music.
- * Light the fireplace or clean out the ashes and light a candelabrum.
- * Infuse home with a comforting scent, such as apple spice or vanilla.
- * Set the dining room table for a fancy dinner party.
- * Vacate the property while it is being shown.